Thursday, January 19, 2006

West Meets East Meets South Meets Eats




I know what you have been collectively thinking: Where in the hell can I get me some reasonably priced Indian chow in Bogota, dammit? With funky lights and a loungey seating area that used to be a garage and little multicolored cloth elephants hanging from the ceiling?

I am glad you came to me first, cause the answer is obvious:

Calcutta
. Address: Cl.75 #8-12. Phones, 2495892,

The food is good, Colombian-friendly (Not very spicy), and reasonably priced (La Flaca and I ate their and it came to a about 75,000 pesos with tip (that's thirty-five bucks)).

It was a great break from the usual fare one gets in Colombia, especially in my pueblito of a city, and the ambiance of Calcutta is charming and very relaxed. The restaurant is basically a converted giant old house with fireplaces, intimate little rooms with tables and Indian decor. So, on your next trip to Bogota, dig in, and dig the lamps, every room has it's own funky multicolored ceiling lamp, which must be the "Indian" thing to have in one's house.

People there were nice and I am sure no one spat in our food.
I tried to take artsy-fartsy pictures of the elephants hanging from the ceiling, spinning them for effect, but that just looked all squiggly and confusing.



No comments: