Sunday, January 29, 2006

Domo Arrigato, Mr. Garabato






I don't exactly understand the Garabato. It's a parade of BQ's rich people, nearly all drunk, dancing through the streets in traditional costumes. It's also the first of the Carnaval parades, and the first of many many days of being sprayed with foam, water and corn flower. Streets are shut down, rum is consumed, insanity prevails and we are exposed to the weirdness of BQ Carnaval that will, over the next four weeks, dominate nearly every aspect of life here. This is the smallest, least organized and least-official of the Carnaval events, and I wish it were the messiest, but the throngs who line the parade route and become positively unhinged are only warming up for the weekends to come. I will keep you informed, as things progress.

Suffice to say that my Garabato experience was typical and i have a few items waiting to be laundered. Suffice to say also, that I am glad I have a waterproof case for my camera.

The gringoes participated whole-heartedly this year, as evidenced by the photos of yours truly and fellow gringo "the original man" Adam.

I promise to follow through on my journalistic duty, but for the time being, you'll have to excuse me, as I have crap to clean.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Nice picture of Adam! Well, while you guys were throwing crap on each other, I had AUTHENTIC Chinese food for New Year's ... mmm. I don't think I missed out on too much! :)